An emergency situation or an evacuation can be a frightening and confusing time. It is important to be educated about the steps you can take to be prepared in the event of an emergency.
Senior citizens being evacuated during emergencies should take with them any other equipment or devices they may need immediately. As a senior, basic items you should keep in an easy-to-reach place may include:
- Assistive devices such as canes, walkers, hearing aids (extra hearing aid batteries), breathing apparatus, etc.
- Prescription eyewear and footwear
- Extra medications and vitamin supplements
- Copies of prescriptions
- Extra dentures (if required) and cleaner
- Personal papers, identification; and
- List of names and telephone numbers (such as family members, doctor, case worker, seniors group contact person, etc.)